Sunday, August 4, 2013

Miracles indeed




Some people might have already seen these pictures on facebook, but I couldn't help posting them again.  This so perfectly captures my boys.  If you have spent any time at all on the Heart Center at Riley, you have certainly spotted a couple miniature superheroes who roam the hallways with various capes and masks every day.  I love these two people more than I can even describe and if I ever start to feel sorry for them for the life that they have, I can look at these pictures and realize they're doing just fine.  

This past week was a pretty good one, nothing very exciting to report, which is just fine with us.  Boring is always better than eventful, because "eventful" usually means there's something to worry about.  There was absolutely nothing to worry about this week, which is pretty miraculous.  I don't know if people realize how big of a deal it is that Caleb is so stable.  All of our doctors have said that if they had been told 9 months ago when we arrived that Caleb would first of all still be ALIVE, and second, be so stable and growing and doing well at this point, they wouldn't have believed it.  The picture below shows what Caleb looked like the week we arrived at this hospital, the week his heart stopped and it took 4 minutes of chest compressions to get him back....



I barely recognize that skinny kid from last year!  Considering he has congestive heart failure, it's AMAZING that he has survived and thrived since arriving here last November.  People say to me all the time that they don't understand why God hasn't answered our prayers and why Caleb still hasn't received a new heart... but we know that God HAS answered our prayers, because He has sustained this little boy and kept his heart beating, and even given Caleb a spirit of JOY while he lives and grows up in a hospital.  He is such a fun kid to be around.  This week, his favorite game was pretending we were in a boat.  He asked me one day if we could make a boat, so I used some little kiddie chairs and floor mats and we sat inside the little structure that was our new boat.  Caleb sat down right beside me, hip to hip, and looked up with a grin on his face and whispered, "We're hiding, Mommy".  I whispered back, "Who are we hiding from?"  And he said, "We're hiding from hyenas.  Hyenas are coming."  Obviously he is somewhat of a genius because if you ask me, a boat is a perfect place to hide from hyenas.  So yeah, boring weeks are pretty miraculous and it is plain that God has indeed been right here with us.  And now that formerly sick-looking kid looks like this:





We would appreciate your prayers as we get ready to adjust to a new schedule.  Jonah will be starting pre-school in a couple weeks and Daniel and I have decided to start spending more time at home in order for Jonah to start to have some kind of normalcy again.  I will take Jonah home for Monday and Tuesday, Daniel will be home with him on Wednesday and Thursday and then we will spend the weekends at the hospital all together.  This minimizes the amount of time our kids have to be away from each of their parents, but means being away from each OTHER a lot more.  Honestly, Daniel and I have been really fortunate to not have to spend more time apart than we have.  We chose in the beginning to make every decision we could to keep our family together instead of one of us at home with Jonah and one at Riley with Caleb.  And now we're going to try something different and just see how it goes.  After this long, I am excited to give Jonah the opportunity to be back in the real world more often.  But we need prayers for perseverance as we adjust to more time apart all around.

I have missed blogging lately; as I've taken less time for media and entertainment, I have just been on the computer so little.  But I realize that so much is happening in my head and in my heart (if not in this hospital room) that I want to share.  So I will try again to be a more consistent writer.  Thank you for continuing to be a part of our life, thanks for following along and praying for us.  I am really excited about the next blog I plan to share.  Stay tuned for what I promise will be at least mostly coherent ramblings about some stuff I'm learning about being a good friend and neighbor.  And I plan to include a picture of me and my preggo belly so you can see how much Lucy is taking over my body... yep, baby girl's name is Lucy and she is making me huge.  (I think Caleb and I should have a competition to see who can put on the most body fat in the next three months.  I hope he wins.)  Talk to you soon! 







8 comments:

  1. We sure are continuing prayers for Caleb and now praying harder for Mommy and Daddy to have success for your new endeavor. God has not brought you this far to leave you hanging. He sure is in control every step of the way. I pray for Lucy to continue to grow and give you joy. Caleb looks great and I love the pictures of the two brothers together. Down the road they will have good memories of being together while Caleb's stay in the hospital will go down in history in their little minds and yours too. Love you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is hard to imagine, but because if your accepting, warm spirit and positive attitude, your children will someday ask, "Mommy, when are we going back to the hospital?"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just have to say...that Ed would be so proud of the shirts...as every little boy is indeed a superhero at heart! (OR rather all boys are superheros no matter if they are little or big!!) With you guys in heart and prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful blog message to wake up to this morning! It is such a blessing to watch God at work! Love you all and praying as you adjust to your new schedule. Hug, Miss Pam

    ReplyDelete
  5. So great that you've had an uneventful week and that Caleb is growing so much! Praising God with you for life, health, new life in your tummy and all the changes that you guys are going through. We know that in this world the one constant is God, and I love your testimony of how He has been hemming you in on all sides as you face so much. Love you guys! - Faith

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how chubby and happy Caleb looks in the recent pictures! Praying for all of you and your strenght to endure everyday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your children are darling. Thank you SO much for the update. Still praying.
    xo rachel

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sometimes people think in human terms, a new heart. Our God is the God of the impossible. He can create a new heart within Caleb. I have worn my shirt for those to pray for him. I believe that is why there is not a call for a heart, because God is creating a new heart within him. May you be blessed with the new addition to your family and everything goes smoothly with the transition of Jonah to preschool. May Jesus show your family the miracles He has for you!!

    ReplyDelete