Monday, September 30, 2013

Out of ICU!

Woo hoo, we're out of ICU! Caleb is happily back to his "home" on the Heart Center and he has been hamming it up for all his nurses.  He is not in the same room as before, and I wondered if he would mind but he doesn't at all.  He's no fool; he knows anything is better than an ICU room, and all he really needs is his harem (ha, ha) of nurses that he loves so dearly.  He's in such a good mood, which makes my heart so happy!

Caleb has been peeing like a champ and puking way less.  And he has been eating more than he's eaten this whole year!  Tonight he asked for macaroni and cheese and a ham a cheese sandwich (it was a cheese theme) and I couldn't believe that the moment I put it in front of him he grabbed a spoon and dug in.  He took 6 bites of mac and cheese, 5 bites of his sandwich and some chocolate milk.  This is a great meal for him!  That was just a couple hours ago and he is currently eating a snack too.  The transplant team says this will be the biggest hurdle for Caleb, and what will most likely determine how long he has to stay in the hospital... he MUST eat.  So I beg you to pray that his appetite grows quickly and stays consistent!!  Praying boldly for my boy to be hungry!!

We had our first education session today about how to care for Caleb post-transplant.  We have to meet every day in the afternoon to learn all his new medications (around 10) and what our daily life will look like when we go home.  We're learning a lot and I feel very confident that we can handle this.  I thought I would be more overwhelmed and I'm not.  I know whatever we have to do to care for Caleb, we can do it. 

I'm really looking forward to Jonah being back with us.  He misses us and he REALLY misses his brother.  My in-laws brought him to visit us during Caleb's nap yesterday, and we got to spend some time in our apartment at the RMH with him.  When Jonah got there, he burst through the door saying, "Caleb, Caleb!" as he ran around looking for him.  When we explained that Caleb was still in the hospital he got upset; he had assumed Caleb was with us.  He perked up pretty quickly but it was hard to help him understand how temporary this all is.  If someone could just figure out a way to explain to my 2-year-old and my 4-year-old that this will only last a few more DAYS, that would be great. :)  We're getting so close to the end of this hospital stay!

That's all for tonight.  I'm so ready to put on my pajamas and go to bed early. These days are full of joy but they are exhausting.  I need to go rest now as Caleb is heading to bed.  Your prayers are being answered so keep them coming!




13 comments:

  1. Katie, when our daughter-in-law wants to show our grandson, Alan, who is Down Syndrome about time, she makes a calendar for him. Each day he gets to tear a page off when he goes to bed. The only thing with Alan was he tore all the pages off right away to get to Christmas!!! I think she had a Christmas tree on the 25th... Sleep well, my friend. We are praying everyday and BOLDLY.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the news about his eating! Prayers that he will grow to enjoy mealtime and that he will be strengthened by this nourishment. Hooray for macaroni!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These posts are so GOD FILLED! Like many, I have prayed for Caleb for the past year, as well as all my family and many of my prayer warrior friends who live in South Florida. The joy that comes from reading your posts are so much like God. He allows us to enter into this space with you - so happy - so grateful - so filled and ready and willing to team up with you and your much needed prayer requests. Keep asking and I will certainly keep praying. My son is 3 and we talk about Caleb and we thank God for Caleb and his "NEW" beautiful heart. God Bless you Katie, Daniel, Jonah, and Caleb...sleep well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "If someone could just figure out a way to explain to my 2-year-old and my 4-year-old that this will only last a few more DAYS, that would be great. :)"

    I wonder if God feels the same way sometimes with each of us?

    P.S. - I don't know if you saw my suggestion. I think, since we had a "Pray for Caleb" service, we should have a "Thanksgiving for Caleb's Heart" service ... Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful news to wake up to this morning! Praying for continuing and growing appetite and recovery in general. Also praying for Jonah as he waits to patiently. He has been SUCH a trooper over this last year. Let's not forget the great testimony God is forming in him! Love you guys :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Over joyed and full of goosebumps!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I could hardly stand it yesterday when we didn't hear if he got out of ICU!! Thank you for letting us know this morning. We are so thankful that the procedure went so well and that he is doing wonderfully well! Praise God from Whom all blessing flow! Carol Lee

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great news - praise God and bring on the mac and cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so happy to hear he is out of ICU! I am praying with you that he has a big strong appetite and he will have a strong immune system...Praise God that things are going smoothly!!!!...Donna Richardson

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so happy for this wonderful family. Have kept up with all of the posts and have prayed daily. This family has been such an inspiration and God does answer prayers.

    ReplyDelete