Wednesday, August 31, 2011

24 hours after surgery














After a cranky start this morning, Caleb ate a nice big bottle and fell fast asleep.  He has been breathing on his own, off the ventilator, since last night at 6 pm!  He started eating last night too, which was really fast.  What a champ.  He slept well last night, but woke up this morning very fussy.  Clearly he is uncomfortable and in some pain... and who wouldn't be, one day after having your sternum broken in half?  It has gotten better as the morning has gone on, and now that he is eating and on regular pain medication, he seems to be much more relaxed.  I hate seeing him just lying there, fussing and even crying at times, but I know we are on the road to recovery.  The doc and nurse have started to detach various tubes and wires already, which is wonderful.  That means he's closer to being able to be held!  Probably one more day, maybe even tonight I can hold him!!  


The biggest things today are 1) hoping and praying that fluid does not begin to accumulate around his lungs and 2) hoping his sats (oxygen levels) continue to rise.  Please keep praying!  Caleb is our little fighter and he is making some great progress but we're not home free just yet.

3 comments:

  1. Katie, I am Chris Gammello's sister. Our son, Cayden has a heart condition as well, aortic stenosis. Your father-in-law (I believe) is Chris' prayer partner. I know they pray often together for our little guys! I have read your posts on Caleb, my heart goes out to you and I feel your anxiety, pain and other emotions that us as mothers can only feel. I'm so glad your little guy is doing so well, I will pray he makes a quick recovery and that God with be with him :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie, Bethany, David and I have been praying fervently for Caleb, you, Daniel, Jonah and the rest of the family. We are thrilled that he has come this far and are trusting that God will continue to bless him with a speedy recovery. When I saw the pictures of him, I started crying because I've been feeling a little sorry for myself lately. Boy, did the Lord whip me over that when I saw that precious boy hooked up to tubes, the vent, etc. Anyway, know that we are pulling for him along with some serious praying. much love, Debbi Atwood

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the update. Caleb isn't the only one that's a fighter. You and Daniel are amazing!

    ReplyDelete